10 August 2008

score: pen one, orc zero


'Out, damned spot! out, I say.'

-- Lady Macbeth, Macbeth, Act V, Scene 1, Shakespeare

Came back from a trip out of town, and as is my usual custom, had all the dirty clothing on the top of the suitcase [for the TSA to appreciate digging through]. Now I am usually pretty careful to pull stray paper, change, and writing implements out of clothing as I disrobe. I missed a ball point pen this time, and in loading the laundry bin, missed it a second time.

We all know how this comes out, and indeed once the pen moved from the washer to the dryer, it opened up. Spots everywhere. Dr Suess would be proud, but no 'Voom' seems to be in our house. It spotted and gave its distinctive blue-black hue to the good towels, napkins, and other items which went through with a white summer weight cotton shirt in which pocket the pen was riding. There is probably nothing in the future of those towels than promotion to the 'rag box.'

But the issue remained of removing the ink from the dryer drum interior. I consulted Google, and a couple of commercial products were suggested, but it is Sunday, and I am not likely to go out again today. Household agents such as acetone (sometimes found in nail polish remover), denatured alcohol, Comet brand dry bleach powdered abrasive cleaner came to mind. Digging through the garage, I also came across an ether based starting fluid, and WD-40 brand spray lubricant.

Down to the dryer, and spot testing {ahem} began. Bottom line, alcohol on a paper towel and a bit of elbow grease triumphed.

Too late in the day for coffee, not late enough for Scotch. I'll go find a Miller Genuine Draft (bottled) in the 'fridge.